They say real women know how to cook. But they need to know a lot more. Like how to be seductive. And wickedly clever.
A tart recipe should cover it nicely. We asked Mark Kempson, formerly at The Square and now at new resto Kitchen W8, to share a sure-to-impress formula.
Crème Fraiche Tart with Lemon Curd Ice Cream
120 g unsalted butter
90 g icing sugar
235 g + 1 tbsp. plain flour
30 g ground almonds
2 g salt
4 egg yolks
375 g sugar
500 g crème fraiche
200 g double cream
3 lemons (juiced)
150 g butter
1 tub vanilla ice cream
1. To make dough, cream unsalted butter and icing sugar together, then add 1 egg slowly.
2. Gently add 235 g flour, ground almonds and salt until the mix comes together. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for roughly one hour or until firm.
3. Roll dough until it’s about 2-mm thin, then place it (gently) into a tart case (approximately 25 cm by 2 cm). Use your fingers to push the dough into the corners and up the sides of the case.
4. Blind bake the crust at 150°C for 15 minutes or until golden. Remove and allow to cool. (Blind baking means covering the dough with tin foil and baking beans to prevent the dough from rising in the initial baking.)
5. To make filling, mix 200 g of sugar and 4 eggs together until smooth. Add 1 tbsp. flour (to avoid lumps) and fold in crème fraiche and double cream.
6. Pour filling into tart and bake at 90°C for 50 minutes. (There should be a slight wobble when you remove the tray.) Allow to cool.
7. To make lemon curd, place 4 egg yolks, 3 eggs, 175 g of sugar and lemon juice in a bowl and cook in a bain-marie (place bowl in a pot of warm water on the stove).
8. Stir until mixture is thick and remove from heat. Slowly add butter and refrigerate until cold.
9. Fold lemon curd through a vanilla ice cream base to create a ripple effect. Serve tart with a generous scoop of ice cream.
Of course, if it’s all too complicated, you can always go to someone else’s kitchen. A real woman knows when to say when.
Kitchen W8, 11-13 Abingdon Road, W8 6AH (020 7937 0120 or kitchenw8.com).
Photo: Courtesy of Kitchen W8