As if ending the sheer gluttony of December isn’t enough, there’s another reason to cheer January: the 25th anniversary of the Chefs’ Holidays series at Yosemite’s famed The Ahwahnee Hotel.
Make the trek for an eight-session presentation from some of the nation’s best chefs — or just try these two New Year’s Eve-perfect recipes from Top Chef participant and local-boy-gone-big Ryan Scott.
Shrimp with a Twist
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 tbsp. ginger root, minced
4 tbsp. fresh lime juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp. soy sauce
½ tsp. sugar
½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 lb. large cooked shrimp, peeled, tails on
½ c. fresh cilantro, chopped
For crushed avocado:
2 avocados, ripe
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tomato, ripe and chopped
1 tsp. fresh lime juice
1 tsp. lemon salt
Salt and pepper to taste
Plantain or tortilla chips (optional)
1. In a large bowl, combine the oil, ginger, lime juice, garlic, soy sauce, sugar, and red pepper flakes. Mix well. Stir in shrimp and cilantro. Cover and refrigerate 1-4 hours. Stir before serving.
2. Peel and mash the avocados in a medium-size serving bowl. Stir in onion, garlic, tomato, lime juice, and lemon salt. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Chill for 30 minutes before serving.
3. Place ¼ c. crushed avocado in each cocktail glass, then arrange marinated shrimp along rims.
4. Garnish with plantain or tortilla chips.
Meyer Lemon and Basil Mojito
3 large basil leaves
2 oz. white rum
2 oz. Meyer lemon juice
1.5 oz. simple syrup
1. In a cocktail shaker, muddle the basil leaves. Add the remaining ingredients. Add ice and shake.
2. Pour the mixture (including ice) into a highball glass. Top each with equal parts club soda and Sprite. Garnish with a Meyer lemon slice.
For more information on Chefs’ Holidays at The Ahwahnee Hotel, visit yosemitepark.com.
Photo: Cursedthing / Flickr