When baking beauty Doron Petersan opened Sticky Fingers in 2002, she defied expectations by successfully combining the best of both worlds — desserts and veganism.
A decade later, we’re still running to the Columbia Heights shop for sticky buns and Cowvin cookies.
In her easy-to-follow new cookbook, Sticky Fingers’ Sweets: 100 Super-Secret Vegan Recipes (on shelves Thursday), the Cupcake Wars champ dishes instructions for treats like these V-Day-worthy treats.
Strawberry Lemonade Whoopie Pies
Makes 18 large or 36 small pies
For the cookies
3¼ c. plus 2½ tbsp. (1 lb., 1 oz.) all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1 c. nonhydrogenated vegan margarine (recommended: Earth Balance)
2 c. (14 oz.) sugar
1 tbsp. egg replacer (recommended: Ener-G)
¼ c. water
Zest of 1 lemon
2/3 c. lemon juice
1 tsp. vinegar (recommended: apple cider)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
4. In the bowl of a standing mixer, combine the margarine and sugar. Cream with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg replacer and water.
6. Add the egg replacer mixture and lemon zest to the sugar mixture. Mix until well combined.
7. Combine the lemon juice and vinegar and add to the sugar mixture.
8. Using a spring-loaded ice cream scoop, scoop mounds of dough (36 for large or 72 for small pies) and arrange on the prepared baking sheets about 1 inch apart. (Use a 1-oz. scoop for small pies or a 2-oz. scoop for large.)
9. Bake until the cookies start to crack on top and a toothpick (inserted into the center of a cookie) comes out clean (about 15 minutes). Let cool completely on the pans.
For the strawberry filling
¼ c. plus 2 tbsp. nonhydrogenated vegetable shortening (recommended: Earth Balance)
2 tbsp. nonhydrogenated vegan margarine (recommended: Earth Balance)
½ c. strawberry puree (store bought or homemade)
1½ c. (6.75 oz.) powdered sugar
1½ tsp. lemon juice
1. In the bowl of a standing mixer, combine the shortening and margarine and whip until completely combined. Scrape the bottom of the bowl to ensure the ingredients are mixed thoroughly.
2. Add the strawberry puree and mix until incorporated. Scrape the bottom of the bowl.
3. On low speed, slowly add the powdered sugar, a little at a time.
4. Add the lemon juice and mix on medium-high speed until all the ingredients are combined and the filling is fluffy (about 2 minutes).
5. To assemble, fill a pastry bag with the filling. Pipe a dollop of filling on the flat (bottom) side of half of the cooled cookies. Top with the remaining cookies, pressing down lightly so the filling spreads to the edges of the cookies.
Photo: Courtesy of Sticky Fingers