Well, you never did make it to the farmers market this summer.
It’s not too late. Chef Marco Suarez, formerly of Eastern Standard, has new digs and a new menu at Bon Savor. He very sweetly shared his last hurrah summer salad — and you can find just about every ingredient at that trusty market.
Fava Bean and Radish Salad with Parmesan Butter and Fleur de Sel
2 pods English peas
2 pods fava beans (about 8-12 beans)
5 red radishes, quartered
¼ head frisee lettuce, trimmed of green leaves and washed in cold water
2 tbsp. room-temperature butter
1 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. smooth Dijon mustard
1 lemon, juiced
½ c. extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp. fleur de sel
1 chunk crusty artisan bread
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring lightly salted water to a boil.
2. Shuck peas and fava beans and cook in boiling water for 30-45 seconds.
3. Strain, immediately shock in cold water, and strain again. (Note: Fava beans need a second shuck. At this point, the outer shell will have loosened, so you can peel easily.)
4. In a salad bowl, combine cooked peas and fava beans with the radishes and frisee.
5. In a small container, mix butter and Parmesan.
6. In another bowl, mix mustard with lemon juice, then gently whisk in olive oil.
7. Lightly dress and toss the salad with the lemon dressing, salt, and pepper.
8. Arrange salad in the middle of the plate. On the side, add a dollop of Parmesan butter, a little pile of fleur de sel, and a slice of bread.
If you’d still rather hit the gas than the farmers market, cruise to Bon Savor, 605 Centre Street, Jamaica Plain (617-971-0000 or bonsavor.com).
Inspired? Try more DailyCandy recipes.