The best way to understand RM champagne salon, opening tomorrow in the West Loop, is to experience it.
Here’s everything you need to know before you do.
1. Go for exquisite bubbles, small bites, and small talk — not martinis, steak, and flat-screens.
2. Sommelier Jason Wagner honed his skills as wine director at New York’s L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon.
3. Chances are you won’t recognize 90 percent of the 200-bottle wine list.
4. Or the cheese list. (They’re sourcing from Murray’s.)
5. Jared Van Camp’s (Nellcôte, Old Town Social) effervescent fare (popcorn cream puffs, oysters, caviar, Lyonnaise salad) pairs well with champagne.
6. Nate Meads’s (Fritz Pastry) dessert cart houses bite-size wonders like raspberry Basque cake. Order the full marshmallow service.*
7. RM muses include Grace Kelly and ’50s hostess extraordinaire Elsa Maxwell.
8. There’s plenty of room on the patio; come winter, gather around the fireplace and toast.
*Order it. You won’t be disappointed.
RM, 116 North Green Street, at Randolph Street (312-243-1199 or rmchampagnesalon.com).
Photo: Derek Richmond / Courtesy of RM