Recipe for a Relish Underground Dinner Party
1 Northern California transplant/granddaughter of famed Vietnamese bakery (Ba Le) owners
1 Ravenswood apartment
1 communal table
Dozens of mason jars
Endless appreciation for local cuisine
A hankering to feed people
1. Take one part self-taught chef (Julia Pham) and one clean dining room.
2. Scrawl four-course prix fixe menu on chalkboard (coming up: tomato bisque, grilled cheese croutons; stuffed maple-roasted acorn squash; ginger-honey roast chicken with brown rice risotto; white chocolate pumpkin cheesecake).
3. Generously sprinkle information about ingredient origins (Brunkow, C&D Family Farms, FrtCrt, Dotson’s Farm).
4. Mix in eight hungry diners (friends, strangers, or both).
5. Season with laughter and open conversation.
6. Temper in affordable price point ($25-$40).
7. Repeat once a month. Add private dinner option for something even more intimate.
Photo: Courtesy of Relish