What do you get when you combine Atomix founder Adam Paul and baker/barista Wendy Lynn Zeldin? Life on Mars, Logan Square’s new vegan takeoutery. Anticipating that you’ll want more more more of the awesome treats, we asked Zeldin for a recipe. (You’re welcome.)
The Toughest Cookie
Makes about twenty
2¼ c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 c. soy butter, softened
¾ c. raw sugar
¾ c. brown sugar, packed
1 tsp. vanilla
2 “eggs” (use Ener-G egg replacer)
1½ c. semisweet chocolate chips
1 c. chopped walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 375°.
2. In one bowl, mix dry ingredients. In another, cream soy butter, sugars, vanilla, and eggs.
3. Gradually beat the dry mix into the wet. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts.
4. Drop large, even spoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 9-11 minutes (or until edges are golden).
5. Eat your vegan heart out.
Get more animal-free goodness at Life on Mars, 2910 West Armitage Avenue, at Richmond Street (773-489-6277 or mars-takeout.com).
Photo: thedabble / Flickr