We’ve put in plenty of hands-on research (read: hours lost to queso and Jarritos due to proximity to DailyCandy HQ) at NYC’s Tacombi, so when it came time to shoot our Mexican fiesta, the taco shack was a natural fit. And we convinced the chefs to share the recipe for the top-selling ceviche tostadas.
For the ceviche
4 grouper or red snapper fillets
Juice of 20 limes
4 serrano or jalapeno peppers, sliced
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Saltine crackers or corn tostadas
1. Slice fish sashimi style (¼-inch slices, slicing from top to cutting surface).
2. Make a marinade of lime juice, peppers, cilantro, and salt and pepper.
3. Submerge fish in marinade. Let rest in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
4. Combine fish with garnish (recipe below).
5. Serve atop tostadas or with crackers as a dip.
For the garnish
1 tomato, chopped
¼ onion, chopped
1 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped
1 avocado, sliced
Juice of 2 limes
Salt to taste
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
Tacombi at Fonda Nolita, 267 Elizabeth Street, between Houston and Prince Streets (917-727-0179 or tacombi.com).
Photo: Janelle Jones / DailyCandy