It’s no secret we’re smitten with Oak Cliff. And the whole town knows we have a huge crush on Bolsa and its little bro, Bolsa Mercado.
So when the duo’s sweet, scruffy chef Jeff Harris offered to craft a custom blend for us in honor of National Ice Cream Month, we couldn’t stop blushing.
It’ll give you the chills.
Buttermilk Blueberry Tarragon Ice Cream
1 c. heavy whipping cream
6 large egg yolks
½ c. sugar
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 c. cold buttermilk
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
½ c. fresh blueberries
1 tbsp. freshly chopped tarragon
1. Bring cream to a simmer in a medium heavy-duty saucepan.
2. Whisk together egg yolks, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Gradually whisk hot cream into the egg yolk mixture.
4. Return mixture to saucepan and stir over medium heat until it thickens slightly (about 6-7 minutes). Do not let boil.
5. Strain mixture into a bowl.
6. Stir in cold buttermilk, lemon zest, blueberries, and tarragon.
7. Set mixture over an ice bath or refrigerate until completely cold.
8. Process in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
9. Freeze in covered container.
Want Harris to do the dirty work? Hit up Bolsa, 614 West Davis Street (214-367-9367 or bolsadallas.com) or Bolsa Mercado, 634 West Davis Street (214-942-0451).
Photo: Vincenzo Lombardo / Getty Images