The Cedars Social, downtown’s new cocktail den, prides itself on experimental sips stiff on style (think retro glassware, sprigs of rosemary, perfectly quartered fruit). Here, house mixologist Michael Martensen shares his recipe for the Ball and Chain — a perfect match for the kitchen’s lobster pot pie or a night at home with your pup and iPad.
Ball and Chain
1 oz. lemon juice
1¼ oz. pineapple syrup (recipe below)
1½ oz. Ketel One vodka
1 bar spoon allspice dram
1 pineapple spear
1. Lightly muddle strawberry in a mixing glass.
2. Add juice and syrup to the glass, followed by the vodka and allspice dram.
3. Add ice; shake vigorously.
4. Strain over ice into a highball glass.
5. Garnish with a pineapple spear and strawberry quarter.
For the pineapple syrup
1 large pineapple
1. Cut pineapple into small pieces and place in a bowl.
2. Lightly crush the fruit and top with simple syrup (if homemade, one-to-one ratio of water and sugar) until covered.
3. Cover the bowl with plastic and let rest for 24 hours.
4. Strain the syrup to remove chunks.
Math not your forte? The pros measure up at The Cedars Social, 1326 South Lamar Street (214-928-7700 or thecedarssocial.com).