Just because the economy is down doesn’t mean you have to be. Live a little with these cheap gets for $10 and under.
1. Man up at Manny’s, where readers can nosh on any entree or sandwich and slice of Eli’s cheesecake for $10. Good for lunch or dinner with a copy of this e-mail.
2. Kooky in the kitchen? Starting December 4, Room21 will offer $10 cooking demos (including food samples and paired wine tastings) with chef Daniel Tucker. First up: homemade eggnog. Space is limited; reservations recommended. Classes take place the first Thursday of every month.
3. Get high in the sky with a $10 zebratini (chocolate and vanilla liquor — yum) from Sky Lounge, the new bar on the 40th floor of the Avenue Hotel. The price jumps to $12 in December, so get it while it’s hot.
4. Squash the financial meltdown with $5 personalized cards/matching envelopes from Squash U (a $35 value). Then get a $20 coupon to sister company Ustationery.com. Squash U donates a percentage of proceeds to the Center for Enriched Living.
5. Get out of the doghouse with a Hot Doug’s Chicago-style dog with all the trimmings (caramelized onions, relish, celery salt, sport peppers, sauerkraut, more), fries, and soda for $4.50.
6. Hop to it at Hop Haus (646 North Franklin Street; 312-467-4287) for a $4.50 wild miniburger (kangaroo, ostrich, wild boar). Regular burgers, like the Bistro (butterkase and pepper jack bacon, roasted onions, bistro sauce), come with fries or string bean salad, cost $9.95, and are big enough for two.
7. Go nuts for donuts with new, local Glazed Donuts in fun flavors like apple cheddar, gingerbread, and cherry chocolate for just $3. Available at Swim Cafe, Bite Cafe, and Green Grocer. Flavors change weekly.
8. Destress with free meditation sessions this November at Exhale Spa. Learn acupressure, aromatherapy, exercises, and coping techniques from a licensed acupuncturist. Mondays, noon-12:30 p.m. Reservations required to 312-753-6500.
9. For another freebie, head to Landmark Grill + Lounge’s free monthly wine tasting for four vinos paired with small bites. This month’s theme: Guns ’ n’ Roses. Tastings start Wednesday, November 19, 7-8:30 p.m. R.S.V.P. to 312-587-1600.
10. And now, cheap tips: Drive your rent check to your landlord instead of mailing it. Cook instead of eating out. Call your cable provider to see if it is running specials (most usually are). Watch free movies on demand.
That’s how you save money, honey.