No one makes it like she does. But you can sure as hell try. (She may have borrowed from Cooking Light, but who’re we to judge?)
Auntie Shay’s French Toast Souffle
10 c. bread cubes (about 16 1 oz. slices)
8 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
8 large eggs
1½ c. 2 percent milk
2/3 c. half-and-half
½ c. maple syrup
½ tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. powdered sugar
¾ c. maple syrup
1. Place bread cubes in a 13-by-9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
2. Beat cream cheese at medium speed until smooth.
3. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each egg.
4. Add milk, half-and-half, maple syrup, and vanilla and mix until smooth.
5. Pour cream cheese mixture over bread, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
6. Preheat oven to 375°.
7. Remove dish from refrigerator; let stand on counter for 30 minutes.
8. Bake for 50 minutes or until set. Sprinkle souffle with powdered sugar; serve with maple syrup.
9. Dig in. No feeling guilty allowed.