Of course they’re allowed to stay up until midnight. London time.
The most important thing this New Year’s Eve is clocking some fun. Do it by tackling this noisemaker craft project created by Roscoe Village’s Unicoi Art Studio.
Plastic container with lid or paper coffee cup with lid
Items for noise-making (dried beans, pennies, uncooked rice, beads)
Silver or glittery wrapping paper
1. Fill container one-fourth full with noise-making items. Put the lid on and test the sound.
2. Slide a long piece of duct tape through the bottom two rings of the Slinky and secure it to the top of the container (make sure to tape the lid shut).
3. Continue taping in various directions until the Slinky is completely attached.
4. Make a “handle” at the other end of the Slinky by counting ten rings from the container and grouping and wrapping/taping the remaining rings together. (You don’t want the Slinky to be too long; the noisemaker will make more noise with fewer rings.)
5. Tape several pieces of curling ribbon to the bottom of the container; help your child curl them with scissors.
6. Use wrapping paper to decorate the container or cup.
7. “Throw” the noisemaker around (holding onto the handle) to ring in the New Year — loud and proud.
Unicoi Art Studio, 2059 West Belmont Avenue, at Hoyne Avenue (773-975-6515 or unicoistudio.com). Register now for winter sessions, January 24-March 26, $162-$279.
Bundle of Joy Diaper Bank
What: Donate new disposable diapers to the locally run charitable organization, which distributes them to families in need. Money is also good.
Why: Help them reach the goal of doling out 100,000 diapers.
When: Thru Fri.
Where: For drop-off points in the city and suburbs, go to bundleofjoydiaperbank.org. Donate money online at bundleofjoydiaperbank.org.
Bakin’ & Eggs
What: Kids eat free from the children’s menu every Thursday at the homey brunch spot (limit two per family).
Why: Buttermilk pancakes with whipped cream smiley faces.
When: Free menu, Thurs., 7 a.m.-3 p.m. Reg. hours, Mon.-Fri., 7 a.m.-3 p.m.; Sat. & Sun., 8 a.m.-3 p.m.
Where: 3120 N. Lincoln Ave., at Barry Ave. (773-525-7005).
New Year’s Eve Family Bash
What: Count it down with a hip-hop dance show, live music, giant slides, and ice skating.
Why: Fireworks at 8:15 p.m. for sleepyheads and at midnight for troopers.
When: Fri., 6 p.m.
Where: Navy Pier, 600 E. Grand Ave., at Lake Shore Dr. (312-595-7437). Admission is free; wristbands ($16-$19) required for some activities.
Photo: Courtesy of Unicoi Art Studio