The Meatball Shop’s Reuben Balls with Thousand Island Dressing
Makes about 30 golf ball-size meatballs
1 c. mayonnaise
1/3 c. ketchup
1/3 c. sweet gherkin pickles, chopped
1/3 c. whole milk
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. caraway seeds
1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
1 lb. corned beef, finely diced
1 lb. ground pork
1¼ c. chopped sauerkraut (squeezed to remove as much liquid as possible)
¾ lb. Swiss cheese, grated with a large box grater
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. caraway seeds
2 slices rye bread, finely diced
2 tbsp. olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Combine all ingredients except olive oil in a large mixing bowl and mix by hand until thoroughly blended.
2. Drizzle olive oil into a large baking dish (9 by 13 inches), coating the entire surface evenly (use your hand to spread the oil).
3. Roll the mixture into round 1½-inch meatballs, making sure to pack the meat firmly.
4. Place meatballs into the oiled baking dish so they are lined up evenly in rows and each is touching its four neighbors in the grid.
5. Roast meatballs in oven until firm and cooked through, about 22 minutes.
6. Allow meatballs to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tray.
7. Serve with Thousand Island dressing.
The Meatball Shop, 84 Stanton Street, between Allen and Orchard Streets (212-982-8895 or themeatballshop.com).
Photo: Courtesy of The Meatball Shop