MidAtlantic Restaurant & Tap Room’s Horseradish Cheddar Dip with Pretzel Chips
For the dip
2¼ c. white cheddar cheese
2¼ c. cream cheese
1 c. whole milk
1 lemon, juiced
1 tsp. Tabasco sauce
1¼ c. horseradish
6 cloves whole garlic, peeled
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. ground black peppercorn
¼ c. scallions, sliced
¼ c. long hot pepper, chopped
1. In a mixer, combine cheddar, cream cheese, milk, lemon juice, and Tabasco sauce.
2. Fold in horseradish, garlic, sea salt, and black peppercorn by hand.
3. Garnish with scallions and long hot pepper.
For the chips
½ tsp. fresh yeast
4 oz. water
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 oz. light corn syrup
1/8 c. unsalted sweet butter
¼ tsp. fine sea salt
¼ tsp. water
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1. Form dough by mixing together all ingredients except water and baking soda with a dough hook or simply by kneading by hand 6-9 minutes.
2. Place dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until dough has doubled in volume, about 2 hours.
3. Roll dough into sheets about 1/16-inch thick.
4. Bring water and baking soda to a boil and blanch the pretzel dough for 30 seconds to a minute.
5. Place on a Silpat-lined sheet pan, sprinkle with salt, and bake at 375° until brown and crispy.
MidAtlantic Restaurant & Tap Room, 3711 Market Street (215-386-3711 or midatlanticrestaurant.com).
Photo: Brett Williams / Courtesy of MidAtlantic Restaurant & Tap Room