STK Miami’s Guinness-Braised Short Ribs
36 boneless short ribs
1 c. diced onion
2 tbsp. chopped garlic
½ c. diced celery
½ c. diced carrot
½ c. diced parsnip
1 tbsp. chopped ginger
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 pt. Guinness stout
28 oz. veal stock (frozen is okay)
16 oz. chicken broth
1 tbsp. instant coffee
Flour, salt, black pepper
1. Dust short ribs with flour and seasoning, then sear them in a large hot saute pan with garlic, onion, and instant coffee.
2. When meat is brown on all sides, remove from heat and set aside.
3. In same pan, cook the vegetables until tender.
4. Add the tomato paste and cook till slightly brown.
5. Deglaze pan with Guinness, veal stock, and chicken broth.
6. Return short ribs to pan, cover, and braise in oven at 325° for 2 hours.
7. Remove short ribs from pan and strain the sauce to keep.
8. Transport ribs and sauce in a chafing dish.
STK Miami, 2377 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach (305-604-6988 or togrp.com).
Photo: Courtesy of STK Miami