Atlanta restaurant Miller Union is concerned with all the right things: the relationship between chef and farmer; simple, rustic foods; and a homey ambience. Serve this earthy, veggie-filled dish to make your own homage to all of the above.
Farro with Mushrooms and Herbs, and Radish and Feta Toasts
For the farro
2 c. boiling water
1 oz. dried mushrooms (porcini, shiitake, oyster, or a mix)
2 c. fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
½ c. farro
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
Salt and pepper to taste
½ c. dry white wine
½ c. carrots, diced
½ c. celery, diced
½ c. leeks, sliced
¼ c. shallots, diced
2 cloves garlic, slivered
1 tsp. thyme leaves
Parsley, chives, and tarragon, freshly chopped
1. Pour boiling water over dried mushrooms and allow to sit 15-20 minutes.
2. Strain mushroom broth and set broth aside.
3. Chop the dried mushrooms and add them to the shiitakes.
4. Cook the farro in the mushroom broth until tender. If any liquid remains, drain off and set aside.
5. In a medium saute pan, heat oil and butter until butter is foamy. Add all the mushrooms and season lightly with salt and pepper.
6. Stir frequently until mushrooms are browned; deglaze the pan with white wine.
7. Reduce until very little liquid is left; then add the carrots, celery, leeks, shallots, and garlic. Season lightly again with salt and pepper.
For the radish and feta toasts
8-10 radishes (watermelon, pink beauty, cherry belle, or d’Avignon), thinly sliced
8½ inch-thick slices of grilled bread (peasant, pain au levain, or rustic sourdough are best)
¼ c. extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
6 oz. feta cheese (preferably goat), crumbled
1 bunch watercress, thick stems discarded
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Keep radishes in a bowl of ice water to maintain crispness.
2. Heat a cast-iron grill pan. Brush the bread with olive oil and grill over high heat, turning once, until toasted.
3. Top the toasts with the feta, radishes, and watercress. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Serve with farro; garnish with parsley, chives, and tarragon as desired.
Miller Union, 999 Brady Avenue, West Midtown, Atlanta (678-733-8550 or millerunion.com).
Photo: Courtesy of Miller Union