It’s Pancake Day — a celebration that has fallen flat in recent years. Relive the sweetest moments of your childhood with the DailyCandy funny face pancake, available until the end of the month at the Kensington and Marylebone creperies. Or make your own.
DailyCandy Funny Face Pancakes
Makes about ten
110 g plain sifted flour
Pinch of salt
200 ml milk
75 ml water
1 tsp butter
Vanilla ice cream
Sliced fresh strawberries
1. Mix flour and salt in a large bowl.
2. Make a hole in the centre of the mixture and crack both eggs inside; whisk to form a frothy liquid.
3. Gradually add milk and water; whisk until mixture resembles thin custard.
4. Melt a small amount of butter in a frying pan. Add 2 tablespoons of pancake mixture.
5. Cook for 30 seconds, until underside is golden brown; flip and cook for another few seconds, then serve. Repeat with remaining batter.
6. Decorate as a face using Nutella, Smarties, vanilla ice cream, and strawberries. Dust lightly with icing sugar and finish with a dollop of chantilly cream.
They’re flippin’ good.
If you fall flat in the kitchen, go to The Kensington Creperie, 2 Exhibition Road, SW7 2HF (020 7589 8947 or kensingtoncreperie.com); or The Marylebone Creperie, 71a Marylebone Lane, W1U 2PJ (020 7935 2993).
Not much of a tosser? Jump to The Dossier to win a free meal for two and a whole lot more during London Fashion Week.