Explore Undiscovered Food, Fashion & Fun.
If cheese were a person, we’d marry it and have its babies. So when Beecher’s Handmade Cheese, a new 8,000-square-foot shop/factory/restaurant, finally opened in Flatiron, we ran to the altar. To showcase its heavenliness, we filmed a few editors scarfing down the good stuff and procured the recipe for what is arguably the restaurant’s most famous dish.
Beecher’s World’s Best Mac and Cheese Serves ten
Ingredients 12 oz. good-quality penne pasta 4 tbsp. butter 1/3 c. flour 3 c. milk 14 oz. Beecher’s Flagship Cheese, grated 2 oz. Monterey Jack, grated ½-1 tsp. salt 1 tsp. chipotle chile powder ½ tsp. garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish and set aside.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Cook penne for 2 minutes less than recommended on the package. Rinse in cold water; set aside. Pasta should still have a slight crunch.
3. Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat; whisk in flour. Continue whisking and cooking for 2 minutes.
4. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly until sauce has thickened (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat.
5. Add cheeses (reserve 2 ounces to top final dish), salt to taste, half of the chile powder, and all of the garlic powder. Stir until cheese has melted and all ingredients are well incorporated (about 3 minutes).
6. In a medium bowl, mix together cooked pasta and sauce gently but thoroughly. Pour pasta into prepared baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cheese and chile powder.
7. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Beecher’s Handmade Cheese, 900 Broadway, at 20th Street (212-466-3340 or beechershandmadecheese.com).
You spent a month waiting for your reservation at the latest farm-to-table spot, then proceeded to feast only upon your phone. Needless to say, it was an unsatisfying meal for everyone.
Before suffering through one more course of CrackBerry, whet your appetite on the new Windows Phone. A liberating alternative to life-napping tech, its smartly designed interface contains Live Tiles that deliver everything you need (Facebook, e-mail, appointments, music, etc.) up front, sans frantic scrolling and searching.
Visit The Sweet Shop to win one, along with other quick fixers, including ballet flats, fashion tape, a scarf, and simple cookbook. Or order it between November 8 and December 31 for a free entertainment pack (a game, 30-day Zune trial with ten free song downloads, and 30-day trial of U-verse Mobile Video), perfect for those rare times when distraction is exactly what you crave.*
Available in New York at 3 Times Square, 31 East 17th Street, 209 West 34th Street, 200 East 86th Street, and 532 Broadway; in Los Angeles at 8471 Beverly Boulevard, 3764 Wilshire Boulevard, 5323 West Centinela Boulevard, 2333 South Sepulveda Boulevard, and 1002 Westwood Boulevard; in San Francisco at 701 Market Street, 3521 20th Avenue, 3555 Geary Boulevard, 2410 Mission Street, and 2135 Union Street; in Atlanta at 50 Barrett Parkway, Marietta; 3431 Lenox Road; 136 Perimeter Center West; 3380 Buford Drive, Buford; 2980 Cobb Parkway; in Seattle at 180 Bellevue Square, Bellevue; 16425 Southcenter Parkway, Tukwila; 7537 166th Avenue Northeast, Redmond; 600 Pine Street; 1402 Southeast Everett Mall Way, Everett; online at microsoft.com/windowsphone.
*Entertainment pack offer must be activated by 12/31.
Blind dating. Speed dating. Online dating. You’ve tried everything in your shameless quest to find the perfect man.
So you’ll totally relate to When in Rome. The new film stars Kristen Bell as an ambitious, relationship-challenged New Yorker who takes a whirlwind trip to Rome. There she defiantly steals coins from a fountain of love, inexplicably igniting the passion of the men who threw them in.
Her new suitors include a sausage magnate (Danny DeVito), a street magician (Jon Heder), an adoring painter (Will Arnett), and a self-admiring model (Dax Shepard). But when a charming reporter (Josh Duhamel) pursues her with equal zest, she’ll have to determine if it’s the work of the coins or the real thing.
Which is still easier than online dating.
When in Rome opens this Friday. Check local listings for showtimes.