The next best thing to sharing a meal with a friend is sharing a recipe with one.
Our favorite way to do that is Foodily, an online recipe network that allows you to discover and discuss the eats your friends (and foodies you wish were friends) are making, trying, and adding to their virtual recipe boxes.
To kick off the third year of our What’s for Dinner series, Foodily co-founder and mom Hillary Mickell shares a recipe all parents need this time of year. In fact, Mickell needed it last week.
While my daughter was home with the flu, I asked her how she was feeling. She said she felt better just smelling the soup simmering in the kitchen. Then she asked, “Is it ready yet?” Followed by, “Can I have it for lunch and dinner?” Yes, Bella, of course you can.
Bebe’s Quick Chicken Noodle Soup
Serves six to eight
1 whole preroasted chicken
2 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. olive oil
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 bay leaf
64 oz. chicken broth
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1 c. wide egg noodles
1. Remove all the meat from the chicken. If you prefer, you can start with an organic, uncooked chicken and roast it yourself — we like the shortcut.
2. Add butter and olive oil to large stockpot.
3. Add chopped vegetables and saute for 4 minutes. Optional: Add some celery leaves for flavor.
4. Add chicken meat and bay leaf.
5. Pour in chicken broth. Season to taste.
6. Bring contents to a boil. Turn down and let simmer for at least an hour (the longer the better).
7. When you are 15 minutes away from serving, add 1 cup wide egg noodles.
8. Serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Find more dinnertime inspiration at foodily.com.
Photo: Courtesy of Foodily