You’ve closed up shop. No. More. Kids. But that doesn’t mean your family is done growing just yet.
If your pack is clamoring for a four-legged friend, consider Animal Planet star and NYC dog trainer Andrea Arden’s tips for picking the perfect pooch.
1. Start slow. Offer to care for a friend or neighbor’s dog, and encourage your child to participate in Animal Haven’s Caring Kids Program (ages 4 and up; Tuesdays, 4-6 p.m.).
2. Play it safe. All interactions between kids and dogs (whether their own or someone else’s) should be carefully supervised by an adult. Always.
3. Find the right fit. A good temperament vs. a specific breed is key when picking a pooch. Some lovable doggies (border collies, German shepherds, miniature pinschers) aren’t good with the quick movements and erratic behaviors of little people.
4. Consider your surroundings. Spare your neighbors of a dog that’s vocal (dachshund, beagle). Herding breeds are more sensitive to sounds and stimuli (honk, honk, beep, beep NYC). Smaller isn’t always better — Jack Russell terriers, Boston terriers, and beagles are high energy and need a lot of exercise.
5. Run their hearts out. Central Park and Riverside Park are perfect for play, as is a stroll down the West Side Highway through Soho to the Animal Haven shelter for doggie play dates and fun events. Dog Park USA is an excellent app for finding local runs and off-leash parks.
Here’s to smiles and tail wags all around.
For more information on dog training, go to andreaarden.com. Classes start at $350.
We have lots more to say (and know you do, too).
Join our playgroup on Facebook for giveaways, deals, and more.
Kids in the Square
What: Kids will love suds by Gazillion Bubble Show blowers, yoga stretches, and NYC-themed songs by Jeremy Plays Guitar.
Why: It’s the perfect play date. Pack a picnic.
When: Thurs., 10 a.m.-1 p.m.. Yoga, 10 a.m.; Gazillion Bubble Show, 11:30 a.m.; Jeremy Plays Guitar, noon.
Where: Union Square Park, South Plaza, 14th St., at Broadway (212-460-1200). Admission is free.
Free Art Island Outpost: Costume Making
What: Kids make space costumes with the help of artists from the Children’s Museum of the Arts.
Why: Get a jump on Halloween with homemade alien gear.
When: Fri.-Sun., 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
Where: Governors Island, Nolan Park (212-274-0986). Ferries leave from the Battery Maritime Bldg., 10 South St., at Whitehall St. Ferry schedule online at govisland.com. Admission is free.
Egg by Susan Lazar Sample Sale
What: Get up to 80 percent off stylish maternity and baby clothes, as well as accessories and crib bedding.
Why: Stock up on gifts for your pregnant friends.
When: Mon.-Fri., 10 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sun., 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
Where: 149 Franklin St., b/t Hudson & Varick Sts. (718-422-7811).
Photo: Courtesy of Animal Haven’s Caring Kids Program
|Up to 50% off Bacini|
The gals behind famed L.A. boutique Satine have captured the romance and ease of Italy in their lingerie line, Bacini. The demure delicates are up to 50% off today on Swirl.