Root Vegetable Soup
Serves six to eight
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 md. onion, diced (about 1 c.)
1 garlic clove, minced
1-2 carrots, thinly sliced (about ½ c.)
1-2 celery stalks, thinly sliced (about ½ c.)
28-oz. can tomatoes
1 tbsp. tomato paste
2 small turnips, peeled and cubed
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
4 c. chicken stock
Handful of fresh herbs (parsley, rosemary, thyme, basil)
1. Heat oil over medium heat in a medium-size stockpot. Add onion and a pinch of kosher salt. Stir consistently until onions are translucent (about 5 minutes).
2. Add garlic, carrots, and celery, and cook an additional 3-5 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil.
4. Whisk in tomato paste. Add turnips, sweet potato, stock, and herbs. Distribute evenly.
5. Bring back to a boil and, after 5 minutes, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20-25 minutes (or until turnips are tender).
6. If soup is too thick, add more chicken stock to achieve desired consistency.
7. Salt and pepper to taste.