Tuscan Tomato Soup with White Beans and Bacon
Serves six to eight
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 md. onion, diced (about 1 c.)
1 garlic clove, minced
1-2 carrots, thinly sliced (about ½ c.)
1-2 celery stalks, thinly sliced (about ½ c.)
28-oz. can tomatoes
1 tbsp. tomato paste
4 c. chicken stock
¼ c. rough-chopped parsley
5 fresh basil leaves
1 bay leaf
14-oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
3 slices thick pancetta, cooked crispy and crumbled
1. Heat oil over medium heat in a medium-size stockpot. Add onion and a pinch of kosher salt. Stir until onions are translucent (about 5 minutes).
2. Add the garlic, carrots, and celery, and cook an additional 3-5 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil.
4. Add tomato paste, stock, herbs, and bay leaf. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20-30 minutes.
5. Use an immersion blender to puree until smooth.
6. Add beans and cook an additional 5 minutes.
7. Salt and pepper to taste.
8. Once plated, top with crumbled pancetta.