Cupcakes feeling a little vanilla?
Amy Edelman of The Night Kitchen Bakery shows us how to add some seasonal spice.
Pumpkin Pound Cake Cupcakes with Cinnamon Frosting
Makes 24 cupcakes
¾ lb. unsalted butter
2¾ c. sugar
½ c. milk
1¼ c. canned pumpkin
2½ c. flour
1½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. cloves
½ tsp. nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 350º.
2. Place cupcake liners in pan.
3. With a mixer, blend butter and sugar.
4. Slowly add eggs, milk, and pumpkin.
5. Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
6. Add dry ingredients to the batter and scrape the bottom of the bowl.
7. Fill papers three-quarters full.
8. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a knife comes cleanly out of the center.
1 lb. unsalted butter
5 c. powdered sugar
2 tbsp. milk
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. cinnamon
Candy corns or marzipan pumpkins for garnish
1. Beat ingredients with a mixer.
2. Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
3. Place any leftover icing (yeah, right) in a sealed container. It’ll last a month in the fridge.
4. Garnish with candy corns or marzipan pumpkins.
Orange you glad you tried it?
No time to make your own? Stock up at The Night Kitchen Bakery, 7725 Germantown Avenue (215-248-9235 or nightkitchenbakery.com).
An Introduction to Composing and Conducting
What: An interactive presentation exploring classical music. Budding Beethovens (12 and under) get in free.
Why: Settle the score.
When: Sun., 2 & 4 p.m.
Where: The Curtis Institute of Music, 1726 Locust St. Tickets at 215-893-7902 or online at curtis.edu.
What: Tots get a membership card at their first story time and a special gift after attending five sessions.
Why: Read between the lines.
When: Ongoing. Tues., 11 a.m.
Where: Pottery Barn Kids, The Court at King of Prussia, 356 Mall Blvd., King of Prussia (610-491-8180).
Too Many Thoughts to Chew: a Sendak Stew Family Day
What: See an exhibit about all things edible in Maurice Sendak’s books, then make collages, sculptures, and other crafts.
Why: Dig in.
When: Sat., noon-4 p.m.
Where: The Rosenbach Museum & Library, 2008-10 Delancey Pl. (215-732-1600).
Photo: Courtesy of The Night Kitchen Bakery