Chicago summers call for patio picnics and backyard barbecues, rooftop rendezvous and stoop soirees. Just in time, we’ve discovered the best warm-weather cocktail in town: Hum Punch, a new collaboration between mixologist Adam Seger and chef Cleetus Friedman of City Provisions Delicatessen.
Available exclusively at CPD, the punch package includes a bottle of Hum spirit (Seger’s creation of fair trade hibiscus, ginger, cardamom, and kaffir lime) and a half-gallon Ball jar of Friedman’s local berry rhubarb lemonade (made with Rare Tea Cellar Fields of France rooibos tea). Pick it up to go — or challenge yourself to make it at home.
Berry Rhubarb Tea-monade
For the tea
2 c. hot water
4 tsp. Rare Tea Cellar Fields of France rooibos tea
1. Boil water.
2. Steep tea leaves for a minimum of 5 minutes (up to 10 for maximum flavor and antioxidants).
For the lemonade
1 lb. rhubarb
6 c. water
2 c. sugar
2 lb. berries (any seasonal berry will do)
2-3 c. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
1. In a deep pan, cook rhubarb, water, and sugar until translucent.
2. Strain in a sieve.
3. In a blender or food processor, puree rhubarb mixture with berries and juice. Strain again.
1 c. Hum spirit
1 c. lemonade
2 c. tea
1. Combine everything in a pitcher.
2. Garnish with mint; pour over ice to serve. Keeps refrigerated for up to 5 days.
City Provisions Delicatessen, 1818 West Wilson Avenue, at Ravenswood Avenue (773-293-2489 or cityprovisions.com). Meet Adam Seger for a complimentary demo and punch sampling at the deli on June 29, 6-8 p.m.
Photo: Courtesy of Hum Spirits
|Hungry? We have more picnic recipes to stuff your basket, plus the on-the-go accessories you’ll need to enjoy your meal alfresco.|