In honor of Original Joe’s reopening — and 75th anniversary — here are seven reasons to say hey to Joe (because 7.5 would be awkward).
1. Four years after a fire destroyed the original restaurant, the third generation of owners revived the family business.
2. Formerly Joe DiMaggio’s, the eatery has prime views overlooking Washington Square Park.
3. Though grand, the space warms like a bosomy hug, with a firelit lounge, cozy booths, and brother-sister team John and Elena Duggan manning the helm.
4. Repurposed elements from the Tenderloin location (OJ door handles, vintage wooden mermaids, bar stools) remind regulars they’re home.
5. A wall of family photos brings newbies up to date.
6. Local and Italian wines by the glass start at $6 (or splurge on the $26 Bastianich).
7. Eighty percent of the menu remains, with new, lighter salad (shrimp Louie) and seafood (filet of sole piccata) options.
How’s that for original?
Original Joe’s, 601 Union Street, at Stockton Street (415-775-4877 or originaljoessf.com).
Photo: Schuyler Bailey for DailyCandy