When you’re running on empty, hightail it to Plate Shop.
1. Cross the Golden Gate Bridge. Exit in Sausalito.
2. Survey the scenery (steel-and-wood accented interior), and then park it at the communal table.
3. Take in the head-to-tail, farm-to-table menu using veggies from the restaurant’s own seventeen garden beds.
4. Nibble on homemade bread with house-churned butter; indulge in dishes from former Aqua chef Kim Atler — like smoked risotto with sea urchin, sea beans, and nasturtium, or braised lamb with vadouvan, carrots, and salsa verde.
5. Fill ’er up with small-batch wine or a craft cocktail made with fresh muddled herbs.
6. Detour to dessert. Monkey bread with cinnamon brioche and brown butter ice cream is worth it.
7. Drive home in belly-loaded bliss.
Plate Shop, 39 Caledonia Street, between Pine and Johnson Streets, Sausalito (415-887-9047 or plateshop.net).
Photo: Courtesy of Plate Shop