New NYC-based resto Gravy serves Southern-inspired fare and cocktails. Being the gentlemen they are, they’ve graced us with their take on the official drink of the Derby.
Gravy’s Mint Julep
Makes one cocktail
2 oz. Bulleit bourbon
1/3 oz. honey syrup (recipe below)
3 fresh mint leaves
1 dash Angostura bitters
1 dash club soda
1. Fill a shaker with ice. Add bourbon, syrup, mint, and bitters. Shake vigorously for about 10 seconds.
2. Add a splash of club soda.
3. Strain into an ice-filled, 10-oz. rocks glass.
4. Garnish with a stemmed sprig of mint.
For the honey syrup
1 c. raw sugar
½ c. clover or acacia honey
1½ c. hot water
1. Add all ingredients to a pitcher.
2. Mix until well blended.
Gravy, 32 East 21st Street, between Park Avenue South and Broadway, New York (212-600-2105).
Photo: Melissa Hom / Courtesy of Gravy
|For more Kentucky Derby recipes, how-tos, and tips, check out Party Time.|