Most days you can’t get Grumpy Bear out of bed. Inspire a whole new attitude with a fresh coat of paint. Kathy Banak, owner of West Seattle-based Authentic Home, weighed in with some mood-altering suggestions.
1. Encourage a restful, serene vibe with earth tones like moss green, camel yellow, or sky blue. The gold undertones create an extra-warm feeling.
2. For a playful, energetic atmosphere, select bright colors like lemon yellow, lime green, aqua, or red. (Vivid hues can make sleeping difficult for babies. Best to save for ages 5 to 8.)
3. Try white on white for a new baby’s sanctuary to indicate purity, sterility, and spirituality.
4. Create a fresh, crisp mood by adding lavender or pale blue, green, or pink accents to a soft white or light beige base.
5. Get kids involved in selecting a theme, paint colors, and bedding. From conception to completion, they’ll feel a sense of ownership and accomplishment.
Color consultations and Authentic Home paints are available at Authentic Home Color Bar, 4151 California Avenue Southwest (206-937-3070 or authentic-home.com).
Fairy Circus and Midwinter Carnival
What: Games, popcorn, prizes, a lion’s cage, and a curiosity shop take center stage at this fantastical family event.
Why: The show must go on.
When: Sat., 1-4 p.m.
Where: The Moonpaper Tent, 918 NE 64th St. (206-708-6741).
What: Pint-size artists learn how powdered glass becomes enamel, using colored sand to fill in their own designs.
Why: Get fired up.
When: Sat., 1-3 p.m.
Where: Bellevue Arts Museum, 510 Bellevue Way NE, Bellevue (425-519-0770).
The Art of Indonesia
What: Tiny movers and shakers discover the beauty of Indonesian culture through a dance demo before trying out some steps of their own.
Why: Don’t stop ’til they get enough.
When: Sun., 1-1:45 p.m.
Where: Kids Discovery Museum, 150 Madrone Ln. N., Bainbridge Island (206-855-4650).