Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble,
Whip up Soupergirl Sara Polon’s fall recipe on the double.
Lentil Sweet Potato Apple Soup
1 tbsp. canola oil
1 onion, diced
½ tsp. minced fresh ginger
½ tsp. cumin
½ tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. paprika
2 lg. sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
3 lg. carrots, peeled and chopped
1 apple (Gala or similar), peeled and chopped
½ c. lentils, rinsed
4 c. vegetable broth or water
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat the oil and add the onions. Cook for several minutes until soft.
2. Add the spices as well as the vegetables, apples, and lentils.
3. Stir thoroughly.
4. Add the broth and stir again.
5. Bring to a boil and then a steady simmer.
6. Cook, covered, until the vegetables and lentils are soft.
7. Puree with an immersion blender.
8. Season to taste.
9. Garnish with a dollop of yogurt.
Sample more freshly made vegan soups at the recently opened Soupergirl, 314 Carroll Street Northwest, between Cedar Street and Blair Road (202-609-7177 or thesoupergirl.com).
Photo: Blue Artist Management / Getty Images