SmallBar Chef Justin White’s Spiced Pumpkin Seeds
Makes about a pound
1 lb. raw pepitas
1 tbsp. pomace oil (or vegetable oil)
1 tsp. smoked paprika
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
¼ tsp. onion powder
½ tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. light brown sugar
1 tsp. granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Shuck pumpkin seeds (the green seed that comes out is what you want to use).
3. Toss seeds with oil and spread on flat baking sheet in an even layer, making sure not to overlap.
4. Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until seeds puff up.
5. In a small bowl, combine spices and sugars; mix thoroughly.
6. In a large bowl, toss seeds with spice blend while still warm.
SmallBar, 2049 West Division Street, at Hoyne Avenue (773-772-2727); 1415 West Fullerton Avenue, at Southport Avenue (773-525-2727 or thesmallbar.com).
Photo: Satakieli / Flickr