Our favorite holiday recipe is an easy take on the traditional English dessert that will carry you sweetly into the New Year.
The DC Trifle
For the custard
2 c. heavy cream
½ c. sugar
6 egg yolks
1. Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl.
2. Heat the heavy cream in a saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add the egg and sugar mixture and stir until it thickens.
4. Remove from heat and let cool.
For the whipped cream
1 pt. whipping cream
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Pour whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla into a bowl.
2. Beat on high with an electric mixer until peaks form.
3. Set aside.
For the trifle
1 homemade or store-bought spongecake
¼ c. sherry or Amaretto liquor
1 c. raspberry jam
1 c. raspberries
1 c. strawberries
1. Cut the spongecake into large pieces and arrange half of them in the bottom of a 3-quart glass bowl.
2. Sprinkle the sherry over it.
3. Cover with a layer of raspberry jam.
4. Add a layer of fruit.
5. Spread with a layer of custard.
6. Finish assembling by alternating cake, sherry, jam, fruit, and custard until it is done.
7. Top with the whipped cream.
8. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
9. Serve with a smile.
Photo: Brooke Raymond / Flickr